Sunday, January 1, 2012

A 1000 soldiers

My explorations of Android Development are starting to find shape. Here is a screenshot from my tablet device showing a lot of the little buggers on the march. Now I have to find a good gameplay mechanic to make directing a small army fun for the player. In my younger years (early 90s) I used to play xbattle on the University's Sun workstations. That was a lot of fun, so it would be an excellent starting point. And I think that a touch interface is a much better fit for an xbattle game than a mouse interface is, so that should give me an edge. The performance is pretty good on the Acer Iconia, despite the modest Tegra2 specifications that don't even include Neon SIMD support.

1 comment:

Bram Stolk Sr said...

Dat moet je maar eens aan je broertje Robbert vragen. Ik herinner mij dat hij eindeloos honderden soldaatjes kon tekenen en zo hele legers op papier wist te krijgen. Ik zal eens zoeken of er nog wat van die kunstwerkjes hier te vinden zijn......